One of my favourite types of blog posts to read are those round-ups of things people have found or liked online recently - like Charlotte's Saturday Share, or Juliet's Sunday Links. I always find something of interest each time, whether it's a link to a funny story, a new blog to read, an outfit I want to wear, or somewhere I want to visit. I thought I'd follow suit / blatantly copy them and start my own monthly series I'm calling "Things & Stuff". So here's the first....
- One thing I have become OBSESSED with recently is looking up Ikea Hacks on Pinterest. If you haven't heard of this before, a 'hack' is basically just taking a piece of Ikea furniture and making it unique. So that could be a simple change like painting a dresser or a big project like building your own storage bed. I'm dying to go buy some furniture and do my own hacks!
- Talking of obsessions, I've recently fallen in love with Ru Paul's Drag Race. I can blame Kirsty for that obsession, as I watched my first episode (and then another 4...) when I went round to hers for dinner a few months ago. Since then I've watched seasons 2-6 on Netflix, and just today discovered that someone has uploaded season 7 to Youtube so I'm watching that now. If you haven't watched it yet I definitely recommend giving it a go - I bloody love it.
- We can't seem to go a week without a new food place opening up in Edinburgh. My most recent fave is Badger & Co - a cool bar/restaurant on Castle Street that serves a kick ass game pie. When I was on the bus home the other day I noticed a new burger place on Frederick St called Belted Burgers so that is currently top of my 'to visit' list.
- Who else was a Puppy/Kitty in my Pocket obsessive as a child? The other day I saw a dog that I thought looked really familiar and thought to myself "whose dog does that look like....?". 5 minutes later I realised that I wasn't thinking of a friends dog.....in fact it just looked REEEEALLY like Mischief, one of the Puppies in my Pocket that me and my sister had when we were kids. We used to have a huge box of them and I clearly spent far too much time playing with them (in our case, "playing with them" basically meant spending an hour dividing them up between the 2 of us and then about 10 minutes of actual playing).
- Did I mention that we've booked a holiday for our first wedding anniversary this September? We're off to Corfu for a week and I can't bloody wait. The hotel is on the side of a mountain(!), so I'm looking forward to enjoying these views for 7 days.
- Have you seen the trailer for the new David Brent movie yet? I'm a big fan of The Office (David Brent was the name of one of the tables at our wedding!) so I've been looking forward to this ever since I heard they were doing a film spin-off. I'm hoping it follows in the footsteps of the Alan Partridge movie, which felt fresh and current whilst still keeping that original magic (and didn't just feel like a money spinner!).
- Speaking of Alan Partridge, he's going to be back on Sky Atlantic at the end of May with a one-off special called Alan Partridge's Scissored Isle, and it sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun.
- I loved this story of a Muslim woman going to an anti-Islam rally and winding the racist pricks up by taking loads of selfies. You go pal!
- Blair and I recently binge watched Mr Robot after buying the first series on DVD, and we absolutely loved it. Rami Malek is such a good actor, and I enjoyed seeing the lovely Christian Slater back on screen again (I used to love him when I was a teen!). After watching the trailer for season 2 I think we're going to take advantage of the Amazon Prime 30 day free trial once it's released, as I'm not sure I can wait for it to come out on DVD this time!
- I've been trying to up my exercise levels recently, as let's be honest, I'm probably one of the laziest people you'll ever meet. Last week I managed to do 4 exercise sessions in one week which was pretty impressive if I do say so myself. On one of those days Kirsty and I went for a walk around Arthur's Seat where the views were absolutely stunning. We had originally planned on going to a zumba class but changed our minds last minute as the weather was so nice, it ended up being a 1.5 hour walk so we probably burned more calories anyway! I generally don't like walking as I find it pretty boring but this was a really fun night as it was basically an excuse to chat for an hour and a half, so I'm definitely up for more walks this summer (I'll be a size 10 in no time).
- I'm soooo happy Broad City is back - it is definitely one of the funniest shows I have watched in the last few years. If you haven't seen an episode yet then I highly recommend giving it a watch - the Hurricane Wanda ep from season 1 is one of my faves.